1 pound flat iron steak, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips (flank steak, skirt steak or hanger steak may be substituted, but won't be as tender)
1/4 cup soy sauce (low sodium soy sauce if reducing. See last note under instructions)
1/4 cup Shaoxing wine (Chinese rice wine) or dry sherry
2 teaspoons corn starch
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon Asian (or toasted) sesame oil
4 scallions, whites finely sliced, greens cut into 1/2-inch segments on the diagonal, reserved separately
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound bite-size broccoli florets, from about 1-1/2 pounds broccoli crowns
1/3 cup water
- Combine the beef with 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of the Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry) in a bowl and toss to coat. Let marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature or 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons of soy sauce with the corn starch and stir with a fork until the corn starch is dissolved. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry), oyster sauce, chicken broth, sugar, and sesame oil. Stir and set aside.
- Combine the scallion whites, garlic and ginger in a bowl and set aside.
- When you're ready to cook, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large sauté pan or wok over high heat until smoking. Add the broccoli and stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add the water. Cover the pan with a lid (or tightly with foil) and lower the heat to medium; steam the broccoli until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes, then transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
- Wipe any excess water out the pan. Increase the heat to high and heat another tablespoon of oil in the pan until smoking. Add half of the beef, so that it is in a single layer, and cook without moving until the beef is well seared, about 1-1/2 minutes. Continue cooking while stirring until the beef is lightly cooked but still pink in spots, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and heat until smoking. Add the remaining beef and cook without moving until the beef is well seared, about 1-1/2 minutes. Add the scallion whites, garlic and ginger mixture and cook, stirring constantly with the beef, for about 30 seconds.
- Return the reserved beef and broccoli to the pan, along with the reserved sauce and scallion greens and cook, tossing and stirring constantly until the sauce is lightly thickened, about 45 seconds. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with rice.
- OPTIONAL: COMBINE THE SOY SAUCE WITH THE CORN STARCH IN A SMALL SAUCEPAN AND COOK UNTIL SLIGHTLY THICKENED IF YOU WANT A THICKER SAUCE. Otherwise it will be on the liquid-y side. If you choose to do this, then us LOW SODIUM SOY SAUCE.